Oral Cancer is no joke.
Causes of Oral Cancer
- Tobacco use of any kind, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco and snuff, among others.
- Heavy alcohol use
- Excessive sun exposure to your lips
- Sexually transmitted virus called human papillomavirus (HPV).
The Good News
If oral cancer is discovered early, the cure rate is nearly 90%. However, if the cancer has already spread before diagnosis, the survival rate is 60% after five years of treatment. The best outcome for oral cancer is always early diagnosis and treatment.
Ways to Prevent Oral Cancer
At Farber Center we have oral cancer screenings included in our routine maintenance, but how can we prevent it?
- Stop smoking or don’t start smoking. If you smoke, quit!
- Drink alcohol only in moderation, if at all. For women, this means one drink a day.
- Choose a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables.
- Protect yourself from HPV.
- Always brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- Limit your exposure to the sun.
- Replace frying and grilling with baking, boiling or steaming. Use healthy spices like garlic, ginger and curry powder for added flavor.
We are here to help you with any Oral Cancer questions you may have. Visit our website today for more information!