Increased Tooth Loss for Senior Citizens

Tooth loss is more common among the elderly.

The Farber Center for Periodontics knows the difficulty associated with aging and the effect it can have on tooth loss. The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research states that 27.27% of seniors over the age of 65 have no remaining teeth. Out of the remaining 72.72% of seniors over the age of 65 who still have teeth, the Institute statistics show they retain an average of 18.90 out of 32 teeth.  The causes of tooth loss vary greatly:

Causes for Tooth Loss

  • Gum Disease
  • Oral health concerns developing undetected
  • Wear and tear of dental work (e.g. fillings, crowns, etc)
  • A Poor Diet

The main reason for tooth loss is neglected teeth, usually due to poor oral hygiene. That is why it is so important to maintain an oral health care routine and cleaning plan to avoid loss of teeth, especially if you are over the age of 65. Seniors need to take certain steps in their oral health routine to avoid losing teeth.

Methods to Avoid Tooth Loss:

  • Brush your teeth at least twice a day
  • Floss at least once a day
  • Eat healthier food
  • Visit Your Doctor Regularly
  • See your dentist every 6 months

Listen to your body so you can identify and treat any oral health issues early.

Aging does come with unfortunate side-effects that can make previously easy tasks much more complicated. If you are suffering from arthritis, brushing can become difficult. If you suffer from arthritis read our blog post on the advantages of an electric toothbrush here: Arthritis and the Electric Toothbrush. Healthy eating can also become difficult as many of the foods beneficial to your health are crunchy or difficult to chew while missing teeth.

Luckily, there are procedures available to you that can help you replace your teeth. The Farber Center for Periodontics & Dental Implants is able to replace lost teeth with natural looking implants that will preserve your facial contour. Our office is also able to provide a new treatment concept called All-On-4® that can maximize the available bone while avoiding the sinus cavity, allowing for new functioning teeth the same day as the implant procedure. To see what Farber Center for Periodontics and Dental Implants can do to fix your smile, give us a call today at (631) 265-4442 for our Hauppauge office or 631-758-3700 for our Medford Office!